This is an exercise for removing emotional connections. I use this simple, but powerful tool with clients in unhealthy, codependent, or one-sided relationships. This exercise is even effective for severing unrequited love.
- Go to a quiet place where you won’t be disturbed.
- Close your eyes. Breathe in through your nose and out through your mouth about 4-5 times. (This will relax you)
- Then picture in front of you the person you need to disconnect from.
- Now say, “Show me the strings that are connecting us.”
- You will be really surprised what you will see. There might be strings connecting them to you or a cord, or it can be large as a tree trunk, or anything in-between.
- At this point, tell the person what you feel about your unhealthy connection. You can be kind, or yell at them, do what you need to do to tell them your TRUTH.
- Picture a pair of huge scissors in your hand (or a hatchet if the strings are like trunks of a tree) and start cutting those visualised cords/strings/trunks.
- You might find that as quickly as you start cutting the ‘cords’ that bind you – the other person starts sending out more connectors to you! Keep cutting, but if they won’t stop sending out more cords, you might have to put a big wall between you!
- Picture a wall as tall and as far you can see in all directions! It can be a brick wall or a clear wall so you can still see them. Some people love the other person, so they still need to SEE them, but the wall is to STOP them for re-connecting their cords/strings/trunks to you.
This exercise is very powerful. It’s also a very emotional process and sometimes takes time. Just stick with it and repeat the process as often as you need to. The emotional connection will eventually neutralize and not affect you like it has in the past.
That’s all there is to it.
WARNING: Be aware that you are cutting off ENERGY and the other person will feel it. Don’t be surprised if you get a call or an email from them, even if it’s been many years since you’ve communicated. They will probably have no idea why they feel the need to reconnect, but you need to be aware so you can decide how you want to deal with them, especially if it’s been a very long time since you’ve talked.
Good luck contact me with your results!